Pourquoi tous les enfants noirs assis ensemble à la cafétéria?

Here are my annotations for this paragraph. :)

(4.) Though this group of children, almost all of whom were White, did not live near a large Native American population and probably had had little if any personal interaction with American Indians, they all had internalized an image of what Indians were like. How did they know? Cartoon images, in particular the Disney movie Peter Pan, were cited by the children as their number-one source of information. At the age of three, these children already had a set of stereotypes in place. Though I would not describe three-year-olds as prejudiced, the stereotypes to which they have been exposed become the foundation for the adult prejudices so many of us have.

Alright so, I'm totally awesome and annotated this in a really badass way. And that way specifically is kind of hard to 'type out' so I apologize that you guys can't see how totally AWESOME my annotations were. (They were awesome.)

Uh; I will try.

So the first thing that piqued my overall interest was the mention of one of my most cherished past-times, Disney. Everyone knows that some of the messages portrayed in the 'innocent' Disney films can be taken... a little too close to heart. When they were talking about the film Peter Pan though, I was all like 'whaaaaat?' because Peter Pan didn't go much over Indian stereotypes. Forgive me if I don't remember the film as well as I used to but wasn't that movie about... some kids on an island that didn't want to grow up? Wasn't there also a pirate with a hook and imaginary food and a fairy? I don't remember any Indian stereotypes in that film... As for Indian stereotypes, the first thing that came to MY mind was the film Pocahontas. That Disney film centers more around the Native American community.

Another Disney film that I connected stereotypes to was the film Dumbo. Now although Dumbo is a great movie with a nice plot and cute characters and a well-flowing storyline (It's a pretty fine movie) everyone that I know CONSTANTLY talks about the 'hidden messages' and 'stereotypes' that are scattered throughout the film. If you click the link, wikipedia does a good job of explaining how it was criticized and a lot of people debate about this day in and out.

I myself don't really think that the cartoons MEANT to be racist, and most of them really aren't; so saying that cartoons are the source of people developing discriminatory thoughts at a young age is kind of.... stretching it.

And that pretty much sums up (although it cant amount to) my AWESOME annotations.


P.S. My annotations are awesome.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment