Quickwrite: Writing Groups

Yay! Blogger is working for me again!


1. What are some things you'd like to get out of writing more collaboratively with peers?

Working collaboratively, I'd like to get a lot more assistance on trudging through my writer's blocks at a more frequent pace. I'm not really used to getting them since I don't write as much as I draw. I DO however get some very troublesome art blocks; but I have my own method of getting through those. Said method, though, doesn't quite work the same with writing so I need more help on it. If I was in a group with people giving me suggestions on what to draw, then I'd probably be more progressive. Writing weekly isn't that difficult, but if I have friends giving me their opinions along the way then it would be much easier. It would be fairly the same with encouragement issues; sometimes I know what to draw but I am much too lazy to do it until it's close to the due date; if I had peers telling me to get it done then chances are that I would do a lot better.

2. What are some things you'd be willing to contribute to a writing group?

I love sharing my opinions with other people so, mostly, that would be what I would do. I love reading what other people have read and then commenting, telling them how it was and what I thought about it; sometimes I even add a little bit of critique in there although, most of the time, I'm a little too shy to say anything. Again, I have to connect the writing with my art, but that's because ti me it's more or less the same concept. I give people my honest opinions on their drawing as well as a lot of constructive criticism. Another thing I could offer is good reading material; reading is something that I enjoy doing often so I could offer them good books and such if they ask for them.

3. Is it more important to you to work with friends, or with people who are writing the same types of things you are? (Of course, it's possible to have this both ways...) Explain why.

Yes, it is. I think this because imagine arguing with a very stubborn person on your opinions, it's completely infuriating and goes almost nowhere. I figure it would be entirely the same concept with writing when you're being critiqued by someone who writes in a completely different style. Most of the time they probably wouldn't know how to comment on it, they'd be so used to what THEY usually write that they would feel almost uncomfortable telling you something that you need to work on. Yet again, this connects back to me being an artist. I critique people who draw in the same, or close to, the style that I draw in myself; if I'm commenting on an abstract drawing then I feel a bit awkward.

4.
What are some "rules" (or at least guidelines) you'd like to see in a writing group?

I don't know how I would be able to type this in paragraph form, so I'll do it in bullet note~~ (or well, line)
- Only constructive criticism, nothing that's opinionated unless it's called for. (like if it's a debate)
- No put downs based on their writing (ex: your writing sucks. You should have picked a different topic. I hate you. et cetera)
- Everyone has to comment at some point, no slacking
- If someone asks you for their help, you should give it to them to the best of your ability.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment