Unwind

SO Mr. Adam got me to read this book 'Unwind' (and I'm very thankful) but he neglected to tell me who else is in our group so I'm not sure how awesome my commenting is going to be (or how frequent.) Gah the keyboard I'm using is really gross so I'm apologizing beforehand about the inevitable typos that are going to be littered throughout this. Also, as an explanation to people who are reading the book who I don't know very well, I'm forgetful, a lot of the things in the book are things that I remember happening but I don't know every last detail. I digress though, let's get started.
I finished the book, but I won't give any spoilers for after what I believe is the first part. Tout d'abord, this book is amazing, I absolutely love the style of writing as well as the in-depth characters that are mixed in. The plot is what really got me hooked though, why am I so drawn to books that have a moderately depressing plot? I'm not sure, but this plot definitely packs one hell of a punch. The main premise of the book is that parents or guardians are allowed to 'unwind' their children until they turn 18. It has something to do with it being the 'humane' choice as opposed to killing people because when someone is unwound then they're still technically alive. The process of unwinding is pretty much taking a person apart piece by piece and using the pieces that they collect for transplants and such. Ohh snap I have to have quotes in this, expect a long letter.
Quote numba one,
I lied this isn't a quote it's an excerpt. I'm going to talk about the scene in which Lev is having a party to celebrate his tithing; on page 29 to 30 there's a scene in which Lev's brother, Marcus, stands up and makes a 'toast' that eventually shows how against he is to it. I think that would be me in a family in which someone was being unwound, or I'm sorry, Tithed. Because I mean.. unwinding just seems plain cruel to me, I understand what the family is doing but it wasn't really Lev's choice. He was born to be killed, or I'm sorry, TITHED. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I thought it was really unfair to him.
Second quote is in the very beginning of the book, when Connor is talking with his girlfriend Ariana, and they're planning on running away together. Afterwards, though...
"So hurry up! The sooner we get out of here, the more of a lead we'll get before anyone knows we're gone."
"Conner," she says, "here's the thing..."
And the truth is right there in her voice, it's in the way it's such a strain for her to even say his name, the quiver of apology lingering in the air like an echo. She doesn't have to say anything after that, because he knows,but he lets her stay it anyway. Because he sees how hard it is for her, and he wants it to be. He wants it to be the hardest thing she's ever done in her life.

Who would do that to someone after making such a deep promise? What a lying self-centered bitch. If I had a boyfriend and he was going to be unwound I would drop everything to go with him. If I didn't like someone enough to do that then I don't think I'd be with them in the first place.
Anyway, this is getting long, stay tuned for the next letter!

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment