[RE] DRIVE... again?

Now I love my friend Stephen Tang, and I just noticed that he as well brought up some fantastic points about our favorite movie to hate ‘Drive’.

"Drive is one of the most invigorating thrillers of the year and received 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I can't help but wonder, was I watching the same film?"

Now this is the real line that caught my interest. You should already know, from my blog and his, the reasons I dislike the film. However, I just don’t understand the amount of positive reviews it’s getting! It’s almost like this is a terrible dream and I just need to wake up. I look to Rotten Tomatoes for guidance BEFORE I watch a movie and, in fact, after I saw Drive I regretted not looking at Rotten Tomatoes first. I expected the review there to be low, if anything at all. So when I checked I was dumbfounded to see how good of a review it had gotten.

Stephens right, was I watching the same thing that these critics were watching? Part of me wants to say that perhaps they thought the film was good because they were looking at it in a different way than what I was. I believe in my previous review of this movie I said something along the lines of me having too high of an expectation for the movie, which depleted it’s overall impact on me. Now that I think about it though, I don’t know if that can explain everything. Even when I have high expectations for a movie, I can always expect for it to at least be entertaining if it’s not a good movie. For example, a friend took me along to see ‘The Green Lantern’. It wasn’t at all a Blockbuster in my eyes, quite the opposite, but it was entertaining. Drive was almost painful to watch to me. It was like I could see the thick tense air in the audience in every over-dramatic pause that the movie had, and there were a lot of those.

Now I’m all for silence in a movie, in fact I love when movies have quiet scenes. By far the greatest scene in Spirited away, and also previously mentioned movie on my blog, is the scene where Chihiro and No-Face are riding the train to the Swamp. There’s no dialogue, no action, just brilliantly played music and beautiful scenery. It’s the scene in the movie that really left an impression on both me and the general public. In ‘Drive’, however, the pauses seem forced and unnatural. Sometimes during conversation between the driver and Irene I would want to shout SAY SOMETHING to him, it was like he was TRYING to be the cool guy.

I dunno what else to say about this movie, I think i'm done ever reflecting on it ever again. If you want a full explanation of the things wrong with it I highly recommend you look at Stephen's blog. His reviews are tops.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment