[FREE] My Taste in Music

Today someone in my Current Life Issues class, which i’ll save for another blog post entirely, asked me a question that I’ve heard a lot.

“What is your favorite kind of music?”

My neutral response is ‘Everything’ which is not entirely a lie, it’s more or less a way to get people to shut up because I don’t like talking about myself in that class. I do have a passion for music however, it’s just not a genre that I can specify. I love soundtrack music. The music you hear in the backgrounds of movies and games, the thing you don’t quiet think about but somehow it leaves the biggest impression on you. Music does everything for a movie, it sets the mood and it can make or break a scene. Worst case scenario, for me a soundtrack can make a movie terrible (such as the soundtrack in the movie ‘Shutter Island’) or it can make a movie amazing (such as the movies I’m going to bring up in a second). It all depends on who wrote it and what the song can really do.

I’ll give some examples, but I highly recommend that the next time you watch a movie you listen for what music is playing in the background. Especially if it’s the second or third time you’re watching the same movie, you start to notice why you like it so much.
The first thing that comes to my head when I think of a song that leaves an impression is a song from Spirited Away. This movie keeps on popping up in my articles, it’s almost as though I have some strange addiction. Anyway I don’t need to clutter up my blog with videos, so I’ll just use a Permalink to the song 
The Sixth Station by Joe Hisaishi. This song is beautiful in every aspect of the word. It's calming and pretty, it really adds to the scene overall. I've had friends tell me that this song alone can bring tears to their eyes, and I completely understand why. As for a more modern approach for a soundtrack, another brilliant example is any track from the Inception soundtrack. Now if you're not familiar with how creatively the tracks were inspired, heres a fun fact for you. Every track in that movie was based off of parts of Edith Piaf's song Non, Je ne Regrette Rien. Isn't that amazing? It makes a lot of sense in the movie as well, as that track is played within dreams, so it's just reinforcing how time is slowed down when you're a level deeper in a dream.

Now I don't want to ramble on, I could go on and on about movie soundtracks but honestly it might be a tad bit boring. I will leave some of my favorite tracks if any of you are interested in listening to some decent music though.

there are so many more, but I'll leave it at just this for now

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment