Letter #1

Letter #1
Dear fellow readers of John Dies @ The End,
When I read this book I really did not ever want to put it down, the situations were climactic and came to nail-biting conclusions that always left me wanting to read more. I think the parts I like the most were the parts in which the 'Soy Sauce' took effect; you know, the scenes in which Dave uses his 'abilities' to read minds and tell the future. The only thing about the book that I've disliked is the fact that most of the time it's a bit hard to tell what's going on and who's talking to who. The situations and POVs are a little jumbled but once you think about/understand what's going on then the book becomes a much better read. I didn't annotate much, because I always feel as though I'm ruining the book with my annotations, but my annotations included underlining the lines that had the most impact on me. One of those lines was when David describes when you see things out of the corner of your eye and then they disappear, I thought that his description of it was amazing. I don't have very many questions about this section, things were pretty blunt and simple for me, I do however have a few questions for my friends who are reading the book as well.
1. When Dave IS describing how you see things out of the corner of your eye, do you understand what he's talking about and/or have you ever experienced something similar?
2. Were you more frightened or humored by the things in the book? (I found that there was an equal balance)
3. If they DO make a movie adaptation of the book (which they might?) would you go see it? -- Also: would you think that the movie would be as good as the book?
I'm going to answer my own question for number 2. I thought that there was a perfect balance of humor and horror in this book. In some scenes he (David) may be describing the disgusting contents of a glass jar, and yet right after he might be describing how the whole scene reminded him of something else. I also love how off topic the author gets with his story, sometimes he even describes why he typed something; for instance, there's one part that I underlined that reads 'Snap. Ka-Chunk. That's how I spell the sound of a doorknob turning.' I just think that that style of writing is the best, it throws in humor that kind of lets you /relate/ with the writer.

SINCERELY B-DOGG

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment