[BC] Foundations draft 2


AUTHOR'S NOTE: I got an essay prompt from an art school I want to go to, so rather than write an entirely new essay, i appended my old one to fit it (since they're really similar anyway)


Ever since I was young, I longed for the arts. At such an age it was a broad goal, something to grow on; however, it was something that I could be passionate about. Colors, shapes, ideas, when it came down to how I worked with art, the possibilities were endless. To most people, art belongs in a museum or on the refrigerator door. Pursuing the arts is an idea that some scoff at, even the artists that were great today were mocked in their prime. To the skeptics, art is only worth something when the artist is long gone. I have a much different perspective on art.

Art has more of an impact on society and culture than we give it credit for. When I was little, I was so inspired by movies and books, and most of the time it wasn’t for the story but instead for the accompanying pictures and animation. We all watch and enjoy the final product, but sometimes with the growing technology we forget where it came from. Sometimes you really have to stop and notice that everything is influenced by art, every idea goes through some kind of artistic process. Movies have storyboards, inventions have drafts, products have advertisements, everything comes from a drawn idea where it is then shaped into something greater.

Museum art is a very fine and beautiful thing, but it’s not the only place in which I can see art. I see art in everything around me. It’s in the movies that I watch and the games I play, art provides a foundation for who I am as a person. It took me a long time to learn that lesson, but I believe the hints were always present. Everyone knows who Walt Disney is, his movies are known world-wide. We all know about the movies he’s produced, but sometimes with the growing technology we forget where that final piece came from. When I watched his movies, it was almost fascinating thinking about how the movie was made inch by inch. I could notice the different strokes of the lines every split second. I believe it was somewhere around there where I got interested in animation and the detail that comes along with it.

Throughout my high school life, I’ve learned a lot about colors and contrasting. I’ve found that the foundation to a final product is a lot more appealing to me than it is to the average person. Even when I’m playing a video game I’ll stop and notice how they created the correct atmosphere. Just last year was a great turning point in my life, I was taken to a Pixar exhibit in Oakland, CA. Needless to say, I was astounded by what I saw. Everything from every movie came from an idea, a simple concept drawn by a simple artist. I think I’ve always wanted to be that artist. To be a ‘behind the scenes’ worker, to be able to watch a movie and say “I helped make this possible.” I wanted to be a conceptual designer.

Naturally, I have both positive and negative feedback about this. There were times where my family pushed me towards the ‘norm’, a standard lifestyle of books and mathematics. Educational systems world-wide promote that sort of thing, they place bookwork and literature at the top of the academic hierarchy. At a point I figured that artists were a dying breed, and I wasn’t about to give up because I fear failure. My friends encouraged me to persevere with my goal, as it’s not a completely impossible one. I think I can stand on my own two feet and follow the path that I’ve set for myself, not the path that people set for me. I know who I am and I know what I want to be; all I need now is a chance to get there.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment